Tuesday, March 10, 2009

[to be graded #5] malcolm x post 10: the environment you grow up in

in our small groups today, we had an in depth discussion about the end of malcolm, what everyone's opinions were, and any questions or comments they still had. the topic i decided i would write my last blog about was "how the environment you grow up in affects the type of person you become." this may seem abstract and controversial, but in plain sight it completely makes sense. for instance, look at malcolm's childhood. his dad was a preacher (hmm..foreshadow) who was beaten to death by the white "devils," but essentially died for his cause. his mother was claimed to be crazy, and the whites took her to the mental institution. so his parents' pasts basically shaped his future right off the bat. 

in my case, i believe that the environment you grow up in affects who you are, because of the studies that have been performed. this link connects to an article which discusses how our environment affects happiness. surveys were done, and many people are happy with their lives. however these were also the people who have close relationships with friends and family, may belong to a religious group, and enjoy their jobs. people who are not so happy may not have any of these bonds, or are suffering from low amounts of motivation and self confidence. 

growing up, my parents were always singing, dancing, reading, and playing with my sister and me. i think this is part of what made me grow up as a happy child with a positive outlook on life. my parents always taught me how important school was, and how i always needed to try my best. i was also raised with the idea of the significance and importance of family, religion, and friends- three things i still consider very important. i have come to the conclusion that the statement about the effects of your environment is true, because of all the surveys which have been taken, and my own experience with this idea. 

1 comment:

caylin said...

Kimberly,
I can totally relate to your last blog. I feel that my parents made me the person that I am today. They taught me wrong from right, the true important things in life, and to love everyday because you never know what will happen the next. I don't know what I would do without them, and I can't imagine the person I would be without their influence.

So now we see.... it was our parents that formed us to be so much alike ( in good ways and stressful ways =] )

I also feel though that my friends and church shaped me as well... although I don't like to admit it, I do care what my friends think of me (except for when it comes to school)... but if they are wearing certain clothes, listening to certain music I want to attempt to listen or wear the clothes and see if I enjoy them. My church, on the other hand, allows me to be who ever I want. There is no judgment attached. I feel the two balance each other out.
Overall Kimberly i think we turned out ok!! =) Really good job on your blogs!!
~Caylin